Karen is the Labour Member of Parliament for Westminster North since 2010 and previously Regent’s Park and Kensington North 1997-2010.
A very active political campaigner who currently sits on the following positions:
- Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Short Lets Sector
- Member of the Joint Committee on Human Rights
- Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Legal Aid
Previous roles/posts have included:
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State in the Department of Transport 2005/6
- Chair of the London Regional Select Committee
- Regional Assistant to the Minister for London.
- Chair of the London Group of Labour MPs
- Member of the Work and Pensions, Home Affairs and Children, Schools and Families Select Committees.
- Member of the Work and Pensions Select Committee
- Karen was named Child Poverty Action Group’s ‘MP of the Year’ in recognition of her work to alleviate conditions of young families living in poverty.
- Introduced the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Private Member’s Bill in 2017- now accepted by the government and working its way through the Parliamentary process